It is important to be yourself, but, more important to be yourself proudly.

Monday, October 8, 2012

People are Strange

     I am dead-set on becoming a librarian right now.

Right now, in a world where books made of paper are starting to slowly disappear.

In a world where the only places I really feel at home are having shorter


and shorter

and shorter
hours.

      I want to be the person smiling behind the counter who knows what's in the back room.  I want to be the person who makes sure the covers aren't falling off of books, the person who barcodes all of the fiction works in a matter of weeks(until I worry my hands will fall apart from the copy/pasting).


     I want it so bad.  So terribly bad.  I may never get to have it.  

     Books are disappearing because it is more eco-friendly, easier to carry and easier to purchase novels and typed literature on kindles and eReaders and iPads.  Does nobody care for the scent of a book anymore?  I have nothing excessive against this, but I can't help but feel a bit hurt.  

     A bullied kid on the playground would get beat up for an iPad, but a book?  The little demons find no value in a book.  Trust me.  

     I feel like technology is leaving me behind.  My media is out-of-date.  I should watch the news, or read it online.  I should already have some fancy reading machine.  I should have Marty's hover-board from Back To The Future 2 (okay, the last one's wishful thinking).  

      I still like the newspaper, I am enamored with the ever-shrinking funny pages. I love my books, and have re-bound a few, myself. I really do want the hover-board, though.  

      Last year, I worked in the library after class almost every day.  It was amazing.  I have been working the library this year, too.  I have been teaching the Freshmen how to handle the front desk, how to check books in and out and how it makes life easier to alphabetize the books on the cart before you put them back on the shelves.  

     I found my dream job, the only problem is, it looks like it might be gone by the time I'm able to have it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment