It is important to be yourself, but, more important to be yourself proudly.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

How to Stump a Stubbern Child

 I was one.  I was a very stubbern child.

Now I am very different.

Now I am a very stubbern teenager.

Lovely.

     Anywho, I was thinking, as I often do, about this, that, the-other-thing, and ventalation.  I was also working on an English project and I found a list of questions relationg to the wonderful book by Roald Dahl that is known to the world as, The BFG.      

     One of the questions was, "How does the BFG label his dream jars?"
     My response(my immediate one, at least) would have been,* "With paper."
*(ha!  Actually, this was my immediate reaction)


     Another thing it brought to my mind was the question, "Why does the BFG label his dream jars?"


The answer to the question is easy to find, but the point is that it derailed my train of thought.


Again.


     Now I was thinking about little children and how they incessantly the question, "Why?" 


 I, myslef, have been one of the worst. 

     The proper response to this question from a child, I have found, is to ask them a question in return.


     Answer their questions until you have no more answers or have run out of your Advil, ibuprofin, Tyelnol(yadda, yadda, yadda, [insert brand of pain releiver/headache medicine here]), then return to them a question of your own.


     When you have reached the limits of your answering capabilities, simply ask them , "Why not?"
     Be prepared for a new round of questions on a new subject, or persistence on the other one, but honestly, this has worked.
     I mean, I've used this.  It had become second nature because it worked. I just hadn't stopped to ask myself why it worked.


     My answer to why it works?  Why not?  Why shouldn't it work?  It may not be one-hundred-per-cent, but it's better than nothing and can inspire exploration and curiosity.


This is my random thought for today.


Best Regards
~AG

No comments:

Post a Comment